At Keys, we take social responsibility seriously – it's at the heart of our hotel travel and tours. We team up with governments, NGOs, orphanages and individuals to act for the benefit of the society at large.
Below are some of the projects we support:
Amani Children's Home
Amani Children’s Home is committed to reducing the number of children living on the streets in Tanzania by providing a nurturing place for homeless children to heal, grow, and learn. In addition to providing long-term care, Amani aims to reunite children with their relatives when possible and to equip their families with the tools they need to be self-sustainable. Amani is dedicated to creating a path for each child that leads to a future filled with hope.
Visit their website here: www.amanikids.org
Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project
We are committed to supporting proper treatment for our crew on Mount Kilimanjaro. As an approved Partner for Responsible Travel with the International Mountain Explorers Connection (IMEC), our climbs are regularly monitored by IMEC’s local initiative, the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP), to ensure that we are abiding by the guidelines established for fair porter treatment.
In 2003, KPAP was established to improve the working conditions of the porters by equipping, educating and empowering them. In addition, KPAP works to educate the public and tour companies about fair porter treatment. The Tanzanian NGO was registered seven years ago and is an initiative of the International Mountain Explorers Connection (IMEC) a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization based in Boulder, Colorado.
KPAP is dedicated to:
- Lending donated clothing to porters climbing Kilimanjaro at no charge.
- Providing complimentary classes to porters on topics that include English, First Aid, HIV/AIDS Awareness, Money Management and Porter Rights.
- Working with climbing companies to monitor compliance to fair treatment practices.
- Educating the public on porter working conditions and fair porter treatment.
There are many ways to help make a difference in the lives of Kilimanjaro porters:
- Ensure you climb with a responsible company that enforces recommended porter guidelines.
- KPAP monitors company practices. For a list of Current Partner Companies please visit: https://kiliporters.org/donate-now/
- Make a financial contribution to KPAP by visiting: https://kiliporters.org/donate-now/
- Donate climbing gear to the KPAP office in Moshi.
If you plan to give any of your clothing to the crew do so via lottery during the tipping ceremony ensuring a fair distribution of all donated items to the entire crew.
For more information, please visit: www.kiliporters.org